Monday, October 6, 2008


This is the 10 minute in-class drawing that was done on October 2nd. Comparing this drawing to our instructor's drawing I find that I relied a lot on outlines rather than focusing on the axis lines. I also didn't use very dramatic lines on the tension points or points where joints were connected. I used a generally consistent outline for most of the drawing.

About the Structure of the Drawing:

I have used very basic axis lines and I don't think I really used cross-contour lines. I did use a lot of basic contour outlines. The lines I used express the direction and shape of the body parts and the shape of the bone structure. My drawing is not very variant on the weight of line and doesn't really approach a truly thin line, but mostly has either a regular thickness or a very dense thickness.

About the Anatomy of the Drawing:

I've drawn in the egg-like shape representing the rib cage and I have added in the pelvic structure and the line of the spinal column. These are the main landmarks that we've studied so far and help to map out proportions in relation to each other. Once these are done then it becomes easier to map out the other parts of the body.

About the Lines of the Drawing:

My drawing doesn't have a wide range of line character/value but it does utilize thicker lines in areas where there is less light. The lines have a somewhat flat look because they don't vary too much and don't have a very apparent atmoshperic perspective. Our instructor's drawing focused a lot more on the nature of line and how making a lot of contrast between thick/thin and light/dark can be used to depict the figure.

About the Composition of the Drawing:

I included the entire figure in the composition and did not crowd the drawing of the figure up against the edge of the page. I didn't use any cropping on the figure. In relation to the ground, I only focused on the proper perspective of the figure as she rested her leg on the ground so that it travels into the background.

No comments: