Monday, October 6, 2008


This is the 50 minute session drawing that was done on October 2nd during class. I showed the rib cage and pelvic landmarks in this piece and along with the back muscles that trail down the spinal column. Much like the 10 minute drawing, I relied on and mostly used outlines and showed only the basic lines to represent the direction and shape of the skeletal structure. I feel that I was more successful in this piece with using thinner lines and creating the contrast between both thin and thick lines. My line character is also more variant in this piece since I used some softer lines that are not simply a streak of conte. Our professor's drawing was very active with line qualities and thickness and depicts more of the movement of the internal structure of the skeleton and muscles.

Use of Structure in the Drawing:

I have drawn in the basic shape and direction of the long axis line flowing down the spinal column as well as the basic curves and lengths of the other bones that compose the skeleton. I did not put too much detail or focus on these lines and they are mostly a consistent thickness. I also added in the main structural landmarks of the internal body that we've studied so far, such as the rib cage, pelvis, and the muscles directly around the spine.

Use of Anatomy in the Drawing:

In depicting the rib cage structure, I used the basic shape of an egg as my guideline and applied it to the angle that the model was laying in. I then added a few details about the shape of the form. As for the landmarks besides for the rib cage, spine, spinal muscles, and pelvis, I did not add in the frontal muscles such as the abs because the model had her back turned to me.

Use of Line in the Drawing:

I feel that my line use in this piece was more effective since I used thinner lines at the points where light was openly exposed to the model and where the parts of her body came closer to the foreground. She laid at an angle that was parallel to me, so I could not use a dramatic effect of atmospheric perspective. My line character also has more change in this piece than the previous since I used lines that were softer in form rather than simply a certain thickness of a regular streak of conte.

Use of Composition in the Drawing:

The relationship between the model and the ground is quite different in this piece compared to the previous 10 minute drawing since I added in the folds of the fabric that the model was laying on and showed how they fold up at certain points and slightly cover the model's body. This also means that the shadows that appear under the figure are depicted and pronounced. As before, the figure is not cropped or crowded over to the edge of the page. I feel that I could have made the figure a bit bigger, but I do not think that she is too small in relation to the full size of the page.

No comments: